Tuesday 12 December 2023

AFTER #KRISTALLNACHT (7): LETTERS TO MARGARETE GOLDSTEIN

 

Margarete Goldstein and Milly

 

28 November 1938

My dear Gretel,

The 4 o’clock mail brought me your two loving greetings of Friday and Saturday, and they gave me a lot of joy, especially your suggestion that I should live with you, although that places a heavy burden on you, my poor girl. Although I know how nice and kind Wolfgang is [Gretel’s oldest son], as are the others [Gretel’s three other children?] the thought of tying my life to that of young people, no matter how willing they are to sacrifice and even if I were to give up everything that an old-fashioned woman is accustomed to – that idea, I must admit, would be hard for me to get used to. As you yourself write (and as I fear as well), it would be too busy for me there, and I am so used to peace and quiet, and also need it.

I would certainly not trouble you and I would certainly make an effort not to disturb you, according to the saying “laisser allez, laisser faire” [leave it, let it be] But the great trouble that I would cause you and the others weighs heavily on me, and I am constantly asking myself whether it is still worthwhile doing. Still, I agree with everything you tell me and suggest to me, and hopefully I will still be able to undertake such a journey. As for what you write about the house, I don’t care. A little earlier I also called Paul [Paul Mayer, brother of Auguste  (Gustel) Gutmann, a relative  of Emma’s] who, however, is unable and unwilling  to look after anything and will stop [working] any day now. He merely wants to hand over your letter and the power of attorney and (I assume) all of the documents to Dr. K [Dr. Emil Kraus, former mayor of Mainz] whom I went to see on Friday morning. I tentatively discussed everything with him in brief, and as I have difficulties getting to [his office], which he understands, he promised to come this week to see me because he wants to look into taxes and other matters that need to be considered.  After I had already talked to Dr. L [unidentified] earlier, I called him, Dr. K., once again to ask him to come by soon to discuss matters mentioned in your letter, which has just arrived, and he promised to come by on Wednesday afternoon. I hope he will come. You have no idea how much in demand these people are and, as he told me, there are only three men here who can look after us, he being one of them [the Law of Restoration (1933) removed Jews from government services; in 1936 Jews were forbidden to serve as tax consultants, and as of November 12, 1938 Jews were not allowed to own businesses].  I cannot understand that you haven’t heard from Lilly [Emma’s oldest daughter in Buenos Aires] for so long. She wrote to me a while ago and now again tells me in an airmail letter that you were so kind to write to her and inform her of everything and she also wrote to you immediately – probably already for a second time – you might therefore receive both letters together.  I am very happy that you found a job that suits you. Regrettably it does not bring any income [Gretel did charitable work], but that will hopefully happen soon.

There is no need for me to get used to your distances, my dear child, because the signs of old age become more noticeable every day. I will barely be able to get out of the house.  Therefore, it would be best if you left me here where I practically don’t go out anymore. Day before yesterday I talked with Mimi [perhaps Emma’s sister Wilhelmine Bing]  and Guste [see above]  about all the items you say I should take along. Also with regard to underwear and what I need to keep me warm. And yet, I immediately said: “But I will be taking my nightgowns!” G[uste] wanted to get some pants for me today, but wasn’t able to get any, so she brought me some Tricot [stretchy fabric] of hers or from Milly [Amalie Schwarz, née Gutmann], 5 pieces that I will probably use. She also bought me material for a good dress that I would have needed here as well and which I will have made soon. I will take overcoats, I mean my two old winter coats and two others, which will be sufficient for me.  I shouldn’t spend too much since I have to make sure I have money for all kinds of larger expenses. But I will talk about all that with the man in question who himself also made me aware of so many things that have to be done.  For example, I have already made a list of the things I plan to take with me, and he will look after all that as well.

You write about an electric heater in your office. Is there no heating? And what is the current, I mean, the voltage there? I have an electric heater that I could bring with me.  I will of course bring my heat pad and my reading lamp for the night table, or would you like my pretty night table lamp for yourself?

I don’t blame you if you don’t write to Heddel [Hedwig Saarbach, Emma’s niece, daughter of her sister Johanna (Jenny) Gutmann], as I did not do it either, for the same reason. If she ever inquires, [we can say that] this particular letter with the enclosure was lost.

29. 10.

I couldn’t continue writing before going to bed yesterday because A. sat here and babbled incessantly. Today there isn’t much more to say either, let’s wait and see what happens next. The address you want is: Dr. Kraus, Gutenbergplatz 1.  He is the former mayor, and still a highly valued and powerful man. But I think it is better if you wait with writing to him until after his visit here tomorrow.  After talking to him I might be able to tell you some of the things you want to know.  These men receive a lot of written inquiries. During his last visit here, S.L. was rather indignant about the many letters, and referred openly to your last letter.  One day you should show him little Ernst’s enclosure [probably Grete’s youngest son, born in 1918] – “little” refers to former times. I find it sweet. I am just looking at Lilly’s [Emma’s oldest daughter] letters, which I have still to answer.  She wrote on 20.10 that she had received a long letter from you the previous day, and that she would reply to it, addressing it to Hannah [Grete’s daughter, born 1912]. And in the airmail dated the 16th of this month, after the affair [referring to Kristallnacht, the Nazi rampage aimed at Jews], she asks “What do you hear from Gretal? I haven’t heard anything. I hope she is doing well.”

For today, 1000 heartfelt hugs and kisses from you loyal M[other].

FOR MORE LETTERS SEE MY NEXT BLOGPOST. For the originals see LBI Archives AR 7167/MF 720.The translation is by Erika Rummel and Susi Lessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment