THE FUNNY SIDE OF #WIDOWHOOD. OR: DO I HAVE A WARPED SENSE OF HUMOUR?
|Rugelach - the ultimate comfort food for #widows|
Here are some things that made me laugh, maybe inappropriately:
The things my book group members in L.A. sent to comfort me:
- A plant labelled “durable” – it better be, I’ve got a brown thumb!
- A video of Caroline Rhea— to remind me that men are a pain? So why miss him?
- A pillow – just one! To remind me why I miss him?
- Smoked salmon, bagels, bean-and-barley soup, rugelach – to fatten me up? Their concern is totally misplaced, but it was nice to see my kitchen look like a Jewish deli counter.
My four-year-old grandson’s reaction to my explanation of death: “Oh man!” (said in the tone men use when speaking of a lost Blue Jays game – genuine regret at what was lost and what could have been)
The plaque on the urn of my husband’s ashes with his name misspelled
– but they can’t fool me, I know who he is.